It’s easy to forget how dominant Amazon has become in our lives. An article from the Economist a few weeks ago (I’m behind!) is a good reminder. Some tidbits:
- It is now the world’s fifth largest company by value (currently at ~$400B), with sales at about $140B
- It accounts for 5% of retail spending in the US (roughly half of Walmart)
- Alexa already has has ~10,000 skills (sort of akin to apps), despite the recency of its launch
- Amazon spends twice as much much on movies / TV than HBO
- The number of Amazon prime customers is now ~72M, up 32% from 2015.
Only 10 firms with sales of more $50B have managed to grow by 15% for over 10 years since 1950; no company over $100B has pulled that off. Can Amazon be the one? I wouldn’t rule it out.